Sunday, February 23, 2014

Check it Out! - "Home Run"

Two weeks ago, I saw a movie that really affected my spiritual life.  That movie was "Home Run", which is a limited-release movie that came out last April.  I found it sitting on a shelf at the library and decided to check it out, and I sure am glad I did!  It is endorsed by ballplayers like Ben Zobrist, Adam LaRoche, R.A. Dickey, and Mariano Rivera, which is a part of the reason I got it.

For a synopsis, the movie focuses on Cory Brand, a Major League player who is battling alcoholism and the effects of an abusive childhood.  He gets suspended for eight weeks for throwing a helmet at an umpire*, and his agent recommends he go back to his hometown in Oklahoma to get his act together.  He hasn't been back home for an hour before he and his younger brother get in a car wreck because of his drunk driving, which gets his brother put in the hospital.  Cory's agent decides that he really needs to straighten up, so she signs him up for Celebrate Recovery and tells the media that he will take over coaching his brother's Little League team.  On his first day as their coach, he learns that his assistant is his old high school sweetheart, who he had dumped after...well, I don't want to tell you all TOO much.  Anyway, he begins to bond with the kids while unwillingly going to Celebrate Recovery meetings, because he doesn't believe that he has a problem.  His goal is to just do the required number of meetings so that they will be on his record, and then get back to his old way of life as a big-time baseball star.  But as time goes on, he starts to realize that he really does have a problem and that he can't quit on his own.  He also has to face up to his past of hurt and realize that he isn't the only person who has gone through painful experiences and injustice. 

While I don't have a background like Cory's, this movie struck a chord with me in a couple of different areas.  For one, unlike most movies with this kind of theme, there was never one really big catastraphe that brought the main character to his knees in front of God.  Instead, smaller, almost common-place things kept coming at him, wearing him down until he had nothing left.  To me, that is much more beleavable than the whole getting-your-world-rocked kind of wake-up call.  I could also recognize that God had been using a similar tactic on me over the past several months to draw me closer to him, and I had been resisting.  This movie helped break my will against that. 

The other thing that struck me was that, even though Cory was definitely an alcoholic, he could keep it hidden.  Whenever he was around other people he was just a charming, fun-loving guy who didn't have a problem in the world.  He could keep his problem under "control", but he couldn't conquer it.  It still ruled his life.  I don't think that is shown very much in movies of this genre, either. 

As far as the movie outside of its message goes, overall it was enjoyable.  The beginning is a little slow, but once you get into it, it is well done and fun, as well as thought provoking.  The parts of the movie with the Little League team are fantastic, and some of the kids you can't help but fall in love with.  And Cory is played by Scott Elrod, whom I had never heard of before but he has apparently had several bit parts before this and is starting to become better known.  I think he did a great job pulling off such an emotional role, and he...ah...DEFINITELY looked the part of a charismatic pro ballplayer.  Picture Dan Uggla's biceps on a taller guy, MattE Diaz's smile, and Brandon Beachy's 5 o'clock shadow and hair before his recent haircut.  That basically describes Cory Brand's/Scott Elrod's appearance.  Not too bad on the eyes...but of course, that's just my opinion. ;)

I would highly recommend seeing this movie.  Even if you don't get something spiritual out of it, it is still a fun, heartwarming film to watch.


*When that happened, I couldn't help but think about Brett Lawrie from a couple years ago.  These guys and their tempers...SMH

No comments:

Post a Comment