Monday, June 15, 2015

Best of the MLB Fan Cave

Time to get back into this blogging thing!  Sorry about the short hiatus.  So, let's kick this off by talking about something that has come to an end (who doesn't love a good irony?)
   
Back before this current baseball season started, it was announced that after four years the MLB Fan Cave would cease to exist.  It's kind of sad, but I do have to admit I'm not surprised.  Last year I didn't even keep up with it much, a large reason being the fact that we (the fans) didn't have any input as to who the Dwellers were and therefore didn't have any kind of investment in it.  And from the little bit that I did see, the videos didn't seem to have the same homey, personal flavor the previous three years had had, and had a more on-the-road, finding-the-players-where-they-have-to-be-and-interviewing-them feel.  The Fan Cave was missing aspect where we got to see the Dwellers  goofing around with the players and seeing the fun side of different athletes' personalities by having them doing things that were not necessarily baseball related.  That was what made the first three years so enjoyable to watch.  So, in remembrance of the Fan Cave's glory years, here are my top favorite Fan Cave videos (or at least some of them.  During the first two years there were so many fun ones it's hard to remember them all or find them again).

Bullpen Mafia, 2011


First Cave Dweller Mike O'Hara really was the best guy to help get people into following the Fan Cave.  He just had the right personality, talent and humor to draw attention to what the Cave was doing (wingman Ryan Wagner was pretty good, too).  Honestly, after the first year things just started slowly going downhill.

Marty Dolan Takes over the Fan Cave, 2011

This is the only clip that I couldn't find on YouTube, which is a pity because I think it is one of the funniest ever done.  I loved Mike O'Hara's alter ego, Marty Dolan, and his snarky attitude.  "He" added a whole new dimension to the Fan Cave, and of course in this clip he is allowed to go wild.  (The very last part of the clip is my favorite!  Because you know that Nick Swisher would've said, "Yeah, man! I'd love to!"  :)

Jose Bautista "The Hitman", 2011


C'mon, who doesn't have an ever-so-slight fascination with the mafia?  Even if it's because of all the dark guys in nice suits there's still...something. One thing that impresses me the most about Jose Bautista's performance in this is that you would never guess that he wasn't from da Bronx or another big gangster city.  Absolutely great job.

"Batters that I Used to Know", 2012


This is a very well done parody, and now that I've experienced the trades of some well-loved players (e.g. Martin Prado, Ian Kinsler, Craig Kimbrel) the emotion behind this song is much more powerful.  Whenever I hear the original song playing in a store or somewhere, I find myself singing under my breath "You're a Giant and a Dodger now..."  Yeah, I'm messed up.

Dueling Harry Careys, 2012


The Fan Cave brought every Harry Carey impersonation fan's dream come true!  Pretty much as soon as Ryan Dempster was traded to the Rangers (oh, happy day!), a bunch of people began speculating when a Harry Carey-off was going to occur.  Thank you, Fan Cave!!!!!!!!  (Personally, I think Ryan's version is the best).

The Nationals' Bullpen Reads 50 Shades, 2012



This is so awkward it's funny.  This is the closest I am ever going to get to reading the book OR seeing the movie, and as far as I'm concerned this is perfectly fine.


"MLB BFF", 2012


This is so cute!  Where can I get an MLB BFF???  I do have friends that like baseball, thank goodness, but they aren't anything like J.J. Hardy.  ;)  (Jk!)

Miguel Cabrera's Telanova, 2012


I'm not into soap operas, but this is a pretty funny spoof.  Several of the physical gags in the clip are very well timed.

Craig Kimbrel Staredown, 2013


There is no way I could have survived that game!  Using a distraction tactic like one of the guys in the video would have been my only hope (if I could have thought of a good one, which under those circumstances would have been very unlikely.  I would have been so starstruck!)  I miss seeing Craig in a Braves uni. :(

Rangers do Dumb & Dumber, 2013


If I remember correctly, Derek Holland did actually get a cameo in the movie (I don't think Justin Grimm did, though.  Probably because he was traded to the Cubs and they didn't want to bother tracking him down).  And what's a movie nowadays without bloopers?  :)


I'm sure it would be impossible to do a video with Dutch and not get some pretty good bloopers out of it.  He just seems like that kind of guy.


BONUS!!!!!!

I had to include my favorite Dweller submission video.  And the best part is that it worked!  His impression of Brian Wilson still cracks me up three years after first seeing it.



RIP, MLB Fan Cave.  Thanks for bringing us joy while you existed (and I have to admit, a part of me still wishes I could have been a part of it).

No comments:

Post a Comment